Royal Marine Commando
Early in 1942 volunteers were called for from the Royal Marines for the first RM Commando. It was known as 'A'Commando, which in October 1942 changed it's name to 40RM Commando. It was to be the only RM Commando unit consisting purely of 'volunteers' as in the Army Commandos. In the same month (Oct'42) the 8th RM Battalion was disbanded and those who passed the training formed a new 41RM Commando. In August 1943 further RM Battalions were disbanded in order to raise new RM Commandos. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 9th and 10th RM Battalions became 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 and 47 RM Commandos respectively. In March 1944 the 7th RM Battalion and some men from MNBDO11 formed the new 48RM Commando.
It should be noted that RM Commando Units underwent Commando training at Achnacarry. Those that were not suitable, who did not wish to transfer to the RM Commandos, or who failed the Course at Achnacarry, were allocated to other sections of the Royal Marines
** nb** We also have albums for RM Commandos in our "Post WW2" Gallery. To view them copy paste and send this link:
All photos subject of copyright © 2010 CVA. Contact the CVA for further details
Size: 11 items
(453 items total)