Commando Mountain Warfare Training Camp (CMWTC) at Llanrwst
The Commando Mountain & Snow Warfare Training Camp (CMSWTC) was formed at Braemar Aberdeenshire in 1942 and was commanded by Sqn Ldr Frank Smythe (RAF) - the Himalayan mountaineer, with Maj John Hunt (later leader of the successful Everest expedition of 1953) as Chief Instructor. The name changed (slightly) to Commando Mountain Warfare Training Camp (CMWTC) when the Training Centre moved to Llanrwst in North Wales in 1943 where it was commanded by Geoffrey Rees-Jones, No5 Cdo. Rees-Jones moved the centre to St Ives, Cornwall, to train in cliff assaults in preparation for D-Day and pioneered the concept of using small boats (dories) to land commandos on otherwise inaccessible cliffs. He made use of the north and south coasts, depending on the direction of the wind.
(Information from Nick Collins)
The Commando HQ was at 'Plas Gwydyr' (across the road to the Pen y Bryn pub) Llanrwst . The NCO's were billeted in 'Plas y Dre's' outbuildings, then they moved to Hendre, Nebo Road, Llanrwst.
(Information from Kevin O'Marah)
Photos of Hendre courtesy of Kevin O'Marah. If you have any further information or can confirm any of the above facts please contact Kevin or Nick via the forum.
(Album created and posted by Pete R.)
Size: 4 items